Pin Cushion Recipe

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Today’s I Love to Create project was inspired by a recent trip to an antique mall that my mother and I took. On one side of the aisle was a booth selling small boxes and vintage tins and the other side was a booth selling old empty thread spools. My mom wanted the tins and I wanted the spools then it clicked as to how we could join forces and make one adorable pin cushion!


SUPPLIES
Needle
Thread
Liquid Fusion Glue
Fabric
Small Tin or Box
Scissors
Polyfil
4 Empty Thread Spools
Aleene's Instant Decopauge


MAKE THE LEGS
Since I chose a small vintage recipe tin to transform into my pin cushion I needed to choose some fabric to match. I opted for a small black floral print from the 70’s. I cut small strips of the fabric and using Aleene’s Instant Decoupage I applied the strips to my empty spools.


GET STUFFED
I took my needle and thread and did a running stitch around the edge of the fabric. Once I had gone all the way around I pulled the edges to make a little pouch. I stuffed the pouch with polyfill and sewed the hole closed. I also used a small button in the center for a tufted look.


GLUED TOGETHER
Once my decoupage had dried using Liquid Fusion glue I attached my 4 spools to my tin as if they were legs. I also coated the inside of my tin with glue and stuck my cushion down inside.


STICK A PIN IN IT, YOUR DONE!

The only thing left to do was add my sewing pins and get stitching!