Toadstool Garden Stool

Thursday, April 22, 2010


With spring in the air everyone needs a toadstool in their garden or on their patio. You could buy one from your local garden center or you could easily make one like I did.


SUPPLIES
White Felt
Foam
White Crafty Chica Paint
Red Felt
Concrete Pier Form
Batting
Liquid Fusion Glue
Staple Gun
Scissors
Fabric Fusion Glue
Paint Brush
Pen
Wooden Disc (several inches larger in diameter than your stool base)


DUMPSTER DIVE
Actually I didn't do any dumpster diving. What I did do was cruise my neighborhood during bulk trash week. On a nearby street I found several large cardboard tubes which I was later informed are concrete pier forms. They were also filled with lots of wooden dowels that I snagged.


PAINT IT WHITE
I covered the cardboard in 2 coats of white Crafty Chica paint.


POLKA DOTS
Using a mug as my template I traced 12 circles onto white felt. I then cut the circles out and used Liquid Fusion Glue to attach them to a piece of red felt.


STOOL CUSHION
I traced my wooden disc onto foam and cut it out with scissors. If your foam is super thick you may need to use an electric knife.


I glued my foam to the wood using Liquid Fusion Glue. I also padded my stool with some extra batting.


READY, AIM, FIRE
Once the glue dried on my foam I sat it face down on the non-polka dotted side of my red felt. Using my staple gun and scissors I pulled, tucked, stapled and trimmed the felt. I tried to make sure the felt did not pucker and was nice and taunt on the top of the cushion.


CAP OFF YOUR TOADSTOOL
I used a heaping helping of Liquid Fusion glue to attach my stool top to it's base.


Though my stool is not water proof on a sunny day it looks pretty dang cute sitting on my back porch just waiting for someone to pop a squat.


When someone is not sitting on my new polka dotted mushroom stool Tallulah enjoys playing with it. Next I need to make a giant paper mache garden gnome.