Bow to Betty White Cards!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010
DSC00789

Last week I was dragging--just feeling tired. You know, kids, juggling several jobs, life obligations; the same things we all go through. Before I could start feeling sorry for myself though, I thought about Betty White. I know, random, but stick with me. Here this legendary woman is, 88 years old and with a career stronger than ever. She's working the talk show circuit (including playing beer pong on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon a few months back), she's a regular on Comedy Central "Roasts", she's in a football-themed Snickers commercial and, much to my utter delight, will be hosting Saturday Night Live (for the first time ever ) on May 8th. If anyone should need a nap, it's Betty!

There's something about Betty's continued relevance, cutting wit and awe-inspiring stamina that just makes me proud to be a woman. It's hard not to smile at age 36 knowing that if I follow her lead, I still have 50+ years to keep doing what I love!
So, my crafty friends, these cards are my ode to this incredible lady. Make your own versions and give them to all of those women in your life who work hard and kick ass while doing it!

DSC00794

Materials
Betty White Pop Art Images (see below)
Scrapbooking Papers
Plain Card Stock
Decorative Scissors
Assorted Trims
Embroidery Needle & Floss
Sewing Machine & Thread (Optional)

How I Made These:

Download this image from Flickr.
Betty White Card Image #2

"Be a Betty!" Card
DSC00791
Download this image on Flickr.
Betty White Card Image #1
  • For this 2nd version, I began by laying out pieces of some of my favorite fabrics and color copying them to make my own, customized card stock. Using decorative scissors, I cut that card down as well as a piece of gold glitter paper (another nod to our Golden Girl) and layered them together. Next, I spread a layer of Acid Free Tacky Glue over the back of the "Bow to Betty" image and added it to the mix. Lastly, I glued on some trimming and added some machine-stitched lines.
"I Bow to Betty" Card
DSC00790

Craft.Rock.Love,
Vickie
Twitter: @vickiehowell