Funky Flower Scarf Necklace

Thursday, September 8, 2011



I have oodles of vintage scarves, I'm not sure where they all came from or how I managed to amass so many. Did I mention I'm a bit of a hoarder? Ya, ok, so anyway...like I was saying I have a helluva lotta scarves. The funny thing is I'm not big on wearing scarves, unless they are in my hair. The problem with that is you can't always see the fun patterns and colors. What I am big on is wearing is jewelry. Recently I was looking at my scarf collection that I never wear and started thinking about what I could do.


SUPPLIES
Scarf
Wooden Discs
Aleene's Fast Grab Glue
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Felt
Clothespins


Doing one wooden piece at a time wrap with bits of scarf and adhere to the back of the disc with a hot glue gun. I used a hot glue gun so I could pull the fabric taunt and have it adhere quickly.


You will be using felt to cover the raw edges on the back of your wooden discs and also to create loops to connect the discs. Cut pieces of felt slightly smaller than your wooden discs and also 5 rectangles to make into hoops.


Fold your strips of felt in half and glue together to make a loop. Glue the loops to the back of your wooden discs using Fast Grab Tacky Glue.


After you have attached your loop to the back of your wooden disc add your large piece of felt using Fast Grab Tacky Glue. This should cover the raw edges and give your piece a finished look. I like to use clothespins while waiting for the glue to dry.


The rest of you scarf will make the strands of your necklace. How long you make your necklace is up to you. You will also need 3 small thin pieces of scarf to connect the pendants.


Using thin pieces of scarf connect your pendents. I just tied the pieces in a double knot and added a small dab of Tacky Glue to hold in place.


Run your long scarf pieces through the top loop in your pendant. Tie a knot with the ends of the scarf to make into a necklace.


Nothing says you have to make your necklace as big as I did. You can find wooden discs in all shapes in sizes at the craft store. Also the same necklace can be made using your favorite shirt, fabric scraps, quilting squares - you name it.


Check out more jewelry related posts right here.

Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!