Parisian Pinecone People

Thursday, December 10, 2009


I have always been smitten on these little vintage Christmas ornaments that look like pinecone elves. Most are marked "made in Japan", they often have little hats or beards and I have seen them as part of a marching band or bearing gifts (These cuties are from Trampoline). Sadly for me these little festive fellows are often quite expensive, so that is why I decided to make my own version today for I Love to Create.



Some say Paris in the spring is where it's at, but I like to think Paris at Christmas time would also be pretty rad. That being the case my pinecone people come donning berets, neckerchiefs and sparkly snow.



SUPPLIES
Liquid Fusion Glue
Pinecones
Doll Heads or Vintage Face Beads
Aleene's Tacky Glue
Tulip Fashion Glitter
Acorn Crowns
Nature's Best Rice Cereal



A GOOD HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDERS
You can get a head for your pinecone person several different ways. The craft store will have small doll heads, you could paint a face on a round bead or you could buy some vintage hand painted doll head beads like I did.

Once you have chosen your head it's time to take a nature walk. I snagged my acorn crowns from a neighbors yard and they make the perfect beret. I used a bit of Liquid Fusion Glue to attach the crown to my bead.

I also happen to have some small leaves that I glued to the neck reminiscent of a kerchief.



LET IT SNOW
Next I dabbed the ends of my pinecone (which did I mention is cinnamon scented?) with some Aleene's Tacky Glue. While the glue was still wet I sprinkled silver Tulip Fashion Glitter and a little Nature's Best Rice Cereal into the glue to get a snowy effect.



FA LA LA LA LA LA OOH LA LA
You can make your pinecone people even more festive by adding little beards, pointy red hats or pipe cleaner arms to hold tiny gifts. All that is left to do is display your Parisian Pinecone People. I put mine in front of an old radio so they can carol their own special version of "Deck the Halls".