faux feathers necklace

Tuesday, March 20, 2012


I can't seem to get enough of feathers lately- they are the perfect subject matter for all kinds of creative projects and they happen to be all the rage in fashion. So I decided to put my twist on a feather necklace, creating my own unique feathers.


Untitled-1
1. I started with a simple sketch of a feather drawn onto fabric. I filled in the feather with Tulip Soft Fabric Paints- they are very versatile and great to use on a variety of fabric surfaces 2. I continued to fill in the feather with colorful details.

IMG_3814
IMG_3598
3. When the paint was dry, I used a permanent marker to add additional details. 4. When I was satisfied with the feather I cut it out.

IMG_3601
Next, I created two more feathers in different colors and sizes.

IMG_3605
IMG_3610
IMG_3607
I stacked the feathers on top of each other


IMG_3613
and I used an awl to poke tiny holes in all three of the feathers and inserted a jump ring.


IMG_3633
Just for a little variation I added some beads and a little charm to the feather and the last step was to put everything on a chain.


IMG_3639
IMG_3618
IMG_3632
5279578786_fd00da7ede_o


Visit us on Facebook!
Craft on!