How to Make Glittered Dorothy Shoes

Friday, October 8, 2010



My little niece, Sarah, is going as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for Halloween. Everyone knows the most important part - aside from Toto, is the pair of ruby slippers. Unfortunately, Sarah's mom couldn't find anything comparable at the stores, so she asked me to transform the above vinyl pair the best I could with glitter.

First thing I did was Google the shoes for a picture.


I wanted to be purist so I bought sequins and tried a Crafty Chica version, which came out like this...



Eh...they didn't quite come out like the original...Sarah and I had a mini-conference at my craft table and made an executive decision to go with old school micro glitter (plus, I ran out of sequins!). This is the end result:


(Bows still to come!)

They came out super sparkly and Sarah-approved. I would have added red crystals all over, but Sarah wanted them as is. She is ready to rock the grade school Halloween party!

To make these shoes, first paint them red with Tulip® Soft Fabric Paint™ , if they are not so already.

If the shoes are vinyl, you'll need to sand them down to give them "grip".

Next, coat with Aleene's Fabric Fusion one section at a time and pour on the glitter (I used my Crafty Chica Rockabilly Ruby).

I wanted these shoes to last a long time, so I finished them off with two coats of high gloss Aleene's® Spray Acrylic Sealer™.

Craft on! Click here for today's daily giveaway!