Pretty Painted Pumpkins

Monday, October 18, 2010
ilovetocreate-blog-header-alisa

IMG_3701

Living in Southern California it is a challenge for me to get into the spirit of traditional fall decor. Though it is raining today, typically this time of year is beautiful- like hang out at the beach beautiful! So when it comes to October/Halloween decor I like to create things that actually feel more summery and will go with the airy cottage feel of our home. I decided that this year I would create pretty little pumpkins in pastel colors full of detail and design.


IMG_2018
I started with a a few pumpkins in different shapes and sizes.


IMG_2020
I painted the pumpkins with white acrylic paint


IMG_2024
and let dry.


IMG_2025
I then added another coat of paint in very light pastel colors.


IMG_3717
FYI- One of my FAVORITE supplies these days is Tulip's dimensional paint. It can be used for a variety of projects and the tiny applicator tips are perfect for adding small details and pattern to all kinds of projects.


IMG_2034
Using the dimensional paint, I began to freehand simple designs around the surface of the pumpkin.


IMG_2032
I added contrast by scratching into the surface with a toothpick.


IMG_2043
I added more and more details, around and around the pumpkin


IMG_3708
until the entire surface was filled.


IMG_2085


IMG_2044
I added dimensional designs to a white pumpkin that I decided not to paint.


IMG_2047
g
And added contrast with a darker color of dimensional paint.


IMG_2049
I filled every surface of all the pumpkins- even the tiny ones got little polk dots :)


IMG_2050
Now I have a variety of pretty painted pumpkins to use in my "california style" fall decorating.


IMG_3704


IMG_2083


pumpkin